Open your doors to a Cultural Experience!
The Homestay Program is designed for international students between the ages of 12 and 18 who wish to study English in Canada. The Vernon School District welcomes students from different countries to study in our schools. Students come to experience Canadian Culture and improve their English skills.
Having an international student in your home can be fun and rewarding. It takes time, patience and a willingness to share your life. There are many differences, both cultural and personal, among our students and homestay families. The real joy comes from encountering and learning from living with an international student.
We want our Homestay family to welcome the student as a new member of the family. Each student you host is a new personality for you to get to know and enjoy. Some students may be outgoing and independent. Others may participate more actively in your family life. Whatever the case, treat your student as you would one of the family, keep the lines of communication open and most importantly, be yourself and have fun!
When choosing our host families we look for:
- Safe, comfortable homes
- A private bedroom with a window, door, closet, bed, dresser and a desk for studying
- Close proximity to the school bus or walking distance to schools
- Active families willing to share our Canadian culture and their family life
- Ability to provide healthy well-balanced meals and snacks
- Willingness to provide emotional support in a caring environment
- Ability to provide transportation
- Computer and wireless access
For further information on the Homestay Program:
BC K-12 International Student Homestay Guidelines
Homestay Application Form